Health Benefits of Pistachios
The pistachio, a member of the cashew family, is a small tree originating from Central Asia and the Middle East. The tree produces seeds that are widely consumed as food.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Antioxidants play a critical role in our health, they reduce the risk of cancer and other diseases by preventing damage to the body’s cells. Among nuts, pistachios have the highest content of lutein and zeaxanthin, both of which are very important antioxidants for eye health. They protect your eyes from damage caused by blue light and age-related macular degeneration, which occurs when your central vision is impaired or lost.
- May lower cholesterol and blood pressure: Many studies on pistachios and blood lipids are conducted by replacing part of the calories in a diet with pistachios. Up to 67% of these studies have shown reductions in LDL (Bad) cholesterol and increases in HDL (Good) cholesterol.
- May manage blood sugar levels: Pistachios are rich in fibre, healthy fats and protective antioxidants so it’s not unreasonable to expect them to be a useful addition to a balanced diet. Research on healthy adults also suggests adding pistachios to a high-carb meal may lower our overall blood sugar response.
- May aid weight loss: Pistachios are rich in fibre and protein, both of which increase feelings of fullness and help you eat less. A 2020 study found that a group of people who qualified as overweight that ate a serving of pistachios every day had a lower body mass index and waist circumference than those who did not eat pistachios. One factor possibly contributing to pistachios’ weight loss properties is that their fat content may not be entirely absorbed by the body so the calculated fat in pistachios are not actively digested by the body.
- Helps in keeping the skin younger-looking and healthy. Pistachios are a wonderful supply of vitamin E, a nutrient important for pores and skin cell regeneration. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant, defending the pores and skin from damaging solar rays. In addition, they maintain hydration in the skin and eradicate dryness because of their Saturated Fat Content
9 Health Benefits of Pistachios (healthline.com)
Are pistachios good for you? Benefits, nutrition, and effects (medicalnewstoday.com)
Pistachios: Nutrition, Benefits, Risks, & Preparation (webmd.com)
Top 5 health benefits of pistachio nuts | BBC Good Food
There are no comments for this article. Be the first one to leave a message!